Friday, December 28, 2012

I LOVE YOU, POPS!!

I LOVE YOU, POPS!!



                          (Don Travis - the greatest man I will ever know.)


It was 25 years ago today that I lost the greatest man I will ever know -- my dad.

He was a fighter, but he succumbed to cancer on Dec. 28, 1987. I still remember that day. I wish I couldn't.


             (His body may be here in Hudson, Ohio, but his spirit lives on in my heart.)


But that's just one sad moment. There are so, so, so many great moments and memories I have of my dad. Of my Pops.

 
                      (He was always a loving, nurturing father.)


He was all about family. My Pops loved my mom. Love doesn't seem like a big enough word. He adored her. He cherished her.


                                                        
                                (My dad cherished my mom.)


And I know he loved his boys -- Scott, Gregg and me -- as well.

His love of family started out at a young age. My Pops was close with his only sibling, his sister, Marcia.



                             (My dad and his sister, Marcia.)


That love was evident with his family. He cared for us...deeply. He had a giant heart.



             (Younger and older, my dad often wore a smile. I try to emulate that today.)

He didn't just love us kids. He loved the kids he taught as well. My dad was an awesome Spanish teacher at Shaker Heights High School. The students loved him in return.



                  (My dad loved his students, and the students loved him.)

I remember my dad talking about his students and smiling. He really cared about them.

I remember my dad helping me with my Spanish homework. I really liked that!

I remember my dad sitting in his rocking chair in a corner of the room, a perfect place to watch television and relax.

I remember my dad picking up our dog, Scamp, and holding him in his lap. Nobody else could do that.

I remember my dad listening to Cleveland Indians' and Cleveland Cavaliers' games on the radio. I would walk in and say, "What's the score, Pops?" He would say something like, "4 to 2" or "77 to 72." He would never say who was winning. I guess maybe because I didn't ask. But that ALWAYS gave me a chuckle.

I remember having to go to bed on Monday nights so I could get some sleep and be ready for school on Tuesdays. My Pops would ALWAYS write down the final score of the Monday Night Football game for me... and who won!!... and leave it for me at my place at the kitchen table.

I remember huddling together and watching Cleveland Browns' games on television. We would cheer on Bernie Kosar and the boys. They actually used to be good!

I remember him taking me to a Cavaliers game, and we had the time of our life.

I remember him taking me to an Indians game, and he wouldn't sit down until we got the autograph of my favorite player.

I remember him cutting the grass, and getting his lawn just right.

I remember him lying in the sun, working on that perfect tan. My dad REALLY, REALLY liked his sun.

I remember his quickness at cleaning off the kitchen table and grabbing plates...even though the rest of the family was still eating.

I remember vacations with him and the whole family...trips to Myrtle Beach. That place will always hold a special place in my heart.

I remember him cheering for me at Little League games. We would go for ice cream at Saywell's in Hudson after games, win or lose.

I remember him walking around and having funny sayings, like, "Woogie! Woogie!" He made us laugh... A LOT!

He's gone physically, but he's still very much in my heart. He still inspires me. In fact, it took some time, but I finally wrote a book, thanks in large part to my Pops. I dedicated the book to him.


         (Home Run from Heaven, my first book, is dedicated to my Pops.)

I am a little sad today, but I am happy as well. I am happy that God blessed me with such a great dad. I am happy that God gave me 23 years of great memories with my Pops.

I will always remember your laugh, Pops.

I will always remember your smile, Pops.

I will always cherish our memories, Pops.

I will always keep you close to my heart, Pops.

I will always love you, Pops.

No comments:

Post a Comment