Monday, October 22, 2012

My debut book is a go!

It all started with this little boy who had a big imagination. He would sometimes turn his imaginative thoughts into words on paper. A poem or a short story would flow from his mind to his fingers to pieces of paper. Well, that's when he was behaving. When he was misbehaving, those imaginative thoughts would turn into burned army men or broken toys. It's a wonder I didn't burn the house down. My poor, poor Mom.

I still have a rather active imagination. I try to use it for good and not evil these days. I'm now being constructive, putting those thoughts into stories. (I haven't burned an army man or broken any toys in a least two months now!)

Ever since I can remember, I have enjoyed writing. That writing helped me land some jobs. I have been a sports writer for over 20 years.

For a long time, I thought about writing a book. After moving to St. Louis to join my incredibly beautiful wife, Allison, I finally found the time and, most importantly, the gumption to write my first book, Home Run from Heaven. The support I have received, from my lovely wife to my mom to my family and friends, has been incredible. While it may not be the next great American novel, I'm happy with it and proud of it.

I grew up in Hudson, Ohio and graduated from Hudson High School (Go Explorers! Go Class of 1983!). After attending college at Bowling Green State University (where I had way too much fun and spenty way too many years), I earned my first job as a reporter at the Bellevue Gazette in Bellevue, Ohio. While not the biggest city, it provided me with wonderful opportunities and wonderful memories. I fell in love with the city and, most importantly, fell in love with the people and their passion for their beloved Bellevue Redmen.

After a decade in Bellevue, I moved to North Carolina. I fell in love with the beaches there, along with several schools and their athletic programs. I also decided to get my first dog while in North Carolina, not exactly doing much research before doing so. I just knew that I wanted a Golden Retriever. I went with a friend, Brittany, and she helped me pick out Thor, a crazy puppy who hasn't grown up much in nearly 3 years.

Hudson, Bellevue, North Carolina and my crazy puppy play a big part in my debut book. So, too, does family and faith. I have always thought that without family, you don't have much. I loved my dad with all my heart. He died of cancer in 1987. I still miss him to this day, and I know I always will. I dedicated Home Run from Heaven to him.

While the book centers around a high school freshman baseball star, I think anybody from 10 to 90 could enjoy the book. It's a heartwarming tale of a boy who grows as a baseball player, and as a young man, thanks to his crazy puppy, a loving family, a sweet girlfriend and, most of all, his faith.

The book is available on Amazon in Kindle format: http://www.amazon.com/Home-Run-from-Heaven-ebook/dp/B009R9SH0U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350579512&sr=8-1&keywords=home+run+from+heaven

It is also available in paperbacker: https://www.createspace.com/4025736

I hope the book helps you smile, laugh and reflect. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.


2 comments: