Monday, July 30, 2012

Hi friends,

I'm tuckered out today. And I've got a slight injury. But I'm grinding through today because I know you would be lost without reading my blog (okay, I know maybe five or six people may read this...).


THE THRILL OF VICTORY, THE AGONY OF GOING FOR A BAG OF CHIPS
I would rather be napping right now, but the Olympians have inspired me to keep on going. Which is sort of ironic, because I think I injured myself -- slightly pulling a hammy -- while WATCHING the Olympics. I should have stretched out before hopping off the couch to get that bag of potato chips...the snack of champions.


OLYMPIC DREAMS
Much like many of the athletes in London, I had an Olympic dream once. It involved Alex Morgan, Hope Solo and the U.S. women's beach volleyball team. (I kid! I kid! I only dream of my beautiful wife.)

My wife asked an interesting question last night before we went to sleep. She asked that if I could participate in any Olympic sport, which would it be (throwing out the window that I'm too old and too out-of-shape to be in the Olympics). After some consideration, I would choose swimming. You get a lot of fans cheering for you, and the finish is usually always thrilling. (I'm not that strong a swimmer, but again, we are throwing that out the window... I can just picture myself now, leading off a relay event -- holding my nose and lowering myself into the pool while everybody else dives off the platforms...)

What Olympic event would you participate in, if you could?

I would choose beach volleyball or swimming for my wife. And not just because of the attire. Okay, that may not be entirely true...


TWO-A-DAYS
I started my sports writing career in a small town -- Bellevue, Ohio -- in 1991. It didn't take me long to fall in love with the Bellevue Redmen. While I've gone on to cover several schools in my career, including ECU (East Carolina University), I never forgot my "first."

All of the sports were fun to cover, from baseball to basketball to volleyball to track to softball, but football is sort of king in Bellevue. The Redmen were coached by a guy named Ed Nasonti back then. Coach Nasonti is still coaching there today.

Coach Nasonti and the Redmen began two-a-days today (Monday). I loved two-a-days. Oh, no, I didn't participate in them. I just covered them. It was great to see the kids progress every day. There is a certain pride you get when you put on the red and silver. There is a certain pride you get when you see the Redmen feather. There is a certain pride you get when you run onto the field at BAF Stadium.

I've got so many great memories from covering practices and covering games. The best part of the job was getting to know the coaches and the kids, and becoming friends with so many of them. The Redmen have had some truly great players, like Ed Baptista, Brad Bollinger, Randy Bollinger, Danny Paul, Chad Kuhns, Russ Kuhns, Ryan Irons, John Bollinger, Cody Cramer, Bill McClain, Pete Lepley, Brad Snyder, Jason Nichols, Tommy Mygrant and so many more.

There's something special about high school football. There's something special about Friday Night Lights. I miss the game. I miss the players. But I certainly haven't forgotten about them.

Did you play high school sports? What's your favorite memory?


NFL
NFL teams have started their training camps. I'm a fan of the Cleveland Browns. (I know, I know. It's not easy.)

I've also got my eyes on the St. Louis Rams (our "new" hometown team), the Green Bay Packers and the Kansas City Chiefs. I'm really hoping to get to a couple practices, and I would love to blog about them. I've got buddies in the NFL -- defensive lineman C.J. Wilson with the Packers, and wide receiver/special teams ace Terrance Copper with the Chiefs. They are two of the nicest guys I've ever met (and I'm not just saying that with the hopes of scoring some free tickets).

What is your favorite team? Who is your favorite player?


READING AND WRITING
I'm looking to publish my first book, called (for the moment anyway), "Home Run from Heaven," this summer. The initial phase of writing is done. I'm waiting to hear back from some people so I can do some editing.

In the meantime, I'm blogging and thinking about a second book. I'm leaning towards more of a children's book involving a couple of crazy dogs, though I've got a few other ideas in my head as well.

I've also been reading. I recently finished "Storm Prey," by John Sandford, who is one of my favorite authors. Prior to that, I read "The Art of Racing in the Rain," by Garth Stein. It was well written and an enjoyable read.

Next on my list is, "A Dog's Purpose," by W. Bruce Cameron.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's time for some potato chips. Don't worry -- I stretched out.

2 comments:

  1. Change is in the air here in Brownstown. Randy Lerner is selling the team to a guy who proclims himself a Steelers fan. Word is Holmgren is probably out, Heckert maybe safe as Holmgrens replacement worked with Hecker in Philly. Schurmer and Weeden may have a short tenure if the team does not produce this year.

    A player to watch this year will be Josh "flash" Gordon who we picked up from Bayloer in the supplemental draft. If he can stay off the ganga he may be the reciever we have been starving for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope so. I want to see the Browns win some games!!

    ReplyDelete