Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A SAMPLE FROM MY BOOK


Instead of actually writing something, I'm going to provide a couple excerts from my book, "Home Run From Heaven."

Here is the premise:
Dylan Bell, a freshman in high school, grew up idolizing his father, who played ten years of Major League Baseball. When his father passed away because of cancer, Dylan was heartbroken. But thanks to a new, always-getting-into-trouble puppy, a loving family, a supportive girlfriend, and his strong faith, Dylan grows as a baseball player and as a young man. With a little bit of help, and a lot of faith, Dylan just may be able to lead the Hudson Redmen to a place they have never been before in school history.

And here are a couple samples from the as-yet-to-be-published-waiting-on-some-editors-and-cover-designer book:

My name is Dylan Bell and I’m 15 years old. I’m already six feet tall, have wavy brown hair, and blue eyes.
For some reason, girls seem to like me, even though I think I am kind of a dork. They talk to me a lot. It certainly doesn’t hurt that I have a cute dog that follows me everywhere. Come to think of it, I’m sure the girls talk to me just so they can pet my dog. Thor, who has a shiny, long golden coat, deep brown eyes, and a tail that is stronger than my baseball bat, has never turned down a chance to be pet, has never turned down a play date, and has never…NEVER…met a stranger.
I’m going out with the prettiest girl in school, Allison Bollinger. Allison is almost as tall as me. She has long brown hair and the prettiest blue eyes I’ve even seen. We’ve been dating for over a year. She is a three-sport star, but she specializes in volleyball. Allison is also really good in track and basketball. She is already getting lots of interest from colleges, especially in volleyball. Even if she never gets a scholarship for sports, Allison will earn something for her grades. She’s at the top of her class. I sometimes wonder, if she’s that smart, what is she doing with a clown like me?


And here is one more:

One evening, I was talking with our next door neighbor, Jenny, when I happened to turn around to check on Thor. I was already in a somewhat lousy mood because I had a somewhat lousy practice.
My buddies on the baseball team had stopped by earlier. They were shooting baskets in the driveway. I looked and looked and couldn’t find Thor anywhere. I called for him and whistled for him, but he had simply disappeared.
I turned around to tell Jenny that I had to go search for him when, all of a sudden, I saw a flash of fur out of the corner of my eye. It was Thor. He had managed to get through the small opening in the fence and was heading straight to the street. As if I wasn’t in a bad enough mood already!
“Jailbreak ! Jailbreak!,” I screamed. “The little guy is making a break for it!”
Jenny stood there frozen, her eyes wide open. She then started to laugh.
I hopped the fence and made a mad dash toward Thor. Hearing my screams, Scott, Gregg, Dennis, and Terrance came racing around the house and joined me in my pursuit. Five against one. We would have Thor back behind bars, errr, inside the fence, in no time. At least I thought the odds were in our favor.
I thought I had Thor trapped against a tree. But as I bent down to grab him, he got into a stance to do his “business.” At least, he PRETENDED to get into a stance. I stood up and took a couple steps back to give him some room. You know, to be polite and all. And, well, because Thor’s “business” usually didn’t smell like roses. Just then, he made a break for it, heading toward the street again.
“You just got punked,” Terrance said with a laugh. “Man, where is Ashton Kutcher. He would have loved that.”


SHOUTOUT OF THE DAY:

My Mumsy, who is the best mom in the world! Just wanted to show her some love.


SONG OF THE DAY:
"Just the Way You Are," by Bruno Mars. It reminds me of my beautiful wife.

4 comments:

  1. Does Dylan have any flaws? Better yet does his girl friend have a dark side? Does home run have a double meaning? How about vampires?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A dark side? I like it. "...She would have been perfect if only she wasn't a pyromaniac."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a "family" book, Tom. So home run has only one meaning. hahaha.

    Vampires. Pyromaniacs. I like how guys think. I may need to go to you guys before my next book writing venture!

    ReplyDelete