Thursday, August 23, 2012

MORE FROM "HOME RUN FROM HEAVEN"


Here is a blurb from my first book, which I'm hoping to publish later this summer or early fall, "Home Run from Heaven."

This is the synopsis:

Dylan Bell, a freshman in high school, grew up idolizing his father, who played ten years of Major League Baseball. When his father passed away because of cancer, Dylan was heartbroken. But thanks to a new, always-getting-into-trouble puppy, a loving family, a supportive girlfriend, and his strong faith, Dylan grows as a baseball player and as a young man. With a little bit of help, and a lot of faith, Dylan just may be able to lead the Hudson Redmen to a place they have never been before in school history.

And here is the blurb:

Just a couple of minutes before the service was to begin, I turned around in my chair. I couldn’t believe what I saw. It seemed like everybody from Hudson was at the funeral. Heck, it seemed like everybody from North Carolina was at the funeral. There were hundreds of people lined up to pay their respects, including several of my dad’s former teammates. I couldn’t help but smile and get a little misty eyed.

“Hey, B, check it out,” I said to Brian. “Turn around. You think anybody stayed home?”

Brian had the biggest smile on his face. “Doesn’t surprise me,” Brian said. “Dad was super, super cool.”

The minister made his way to the front of the crowd. Once everybody quieted down, he got started. Now I’m not sure if this was divine intervention, a quirky act of nature or what, but I fully believe my dad and somebody else upstairs had something to do with it. The minister bowed his head and said, “Don Bell was…”

As soon as those words finished coming out of the reverend’s mouth, the rain stopped. Completely. Not only that, the clouds parted and the sun came shining through. An incredible rainbow seemed to pop up out of nowhere. It warmed things up nicely. I looked into the sky and it almost seemed like there was a special ray of sunshine just for us. I looked at my mom, who was smiling from ear to ear. Katherine and Brian were smiling, too.

“It feels like somebody is hugging me,” Katherine said. “Is that silly?”

“No, baby,” my mom said. “I feel it, too. It’s nice, isn’t it?”

Katherine then hugged my mom. I put my arm around Brian. He whispered in my ear, “I feel it, too, bro. Do you?” I nodded, gave him a wink, and said, “Like dad said, he’d find a way to be there for us.”


SHOUTOUT OF THE DAY

My shoutout goes to my friend, Lindsay, who is a member of the Charlotte LadyCats. The team not only performs at the Bobcats' basketball games, but members do A LOT of charity work as well.

Lindsay and her teammates just helped out with the Boys and Girls club of Greater Charlotte. I know she and her girls help to put on smiles wherever they go.




The LadyCats also did an appearance for soldiers who were about to be deployed.

Lindsay, who I've known since she was a dancer at ECU (East Carolina University...Go Pirates!!), is just as sweet as she is pretty.

Lindsay and the LadyCats are multiple winners of the NBA Dance Team contest.

For more about Lindsay and what some of the LadyCats do, check out her Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/#!/ladycat.lindsay) and her Twitter Page (https://twitter.com/Lrg0429).



SONG OF THE DAY

"Just to See You Smile," by Tim McGraw. It's a fun song that reminds me of my beautiful wife.
She's the most beautiful lady in the world to me. She's funny, smart, sweet and sexy. I love her like I've never loved another.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment