Wednesday, August 29, 2012

SOME OF MY FAVORITES


I like to write. It sometimes helps me to escape reality. Not that I need to escape from reality. My life is pretty doggone perfect, with a beautiful, funny wife; a silly, cute stepdaughter; a wonderful mom; great family and friends; and two of the best dogs in the world. (Though my wife would argue that we have, at best, one of the best dogs in the world.)

When I'm writing fiction, I enjoy creating characters. I like to see them evolve as the story progresses. Sometimes I have no idea how a character will evolve, until I get halfway through a story.

In reality, I've met some pretty colorful characters. As a sports writer and a sports editor, I've gotten to know some fascinating people. I've gotten to know some fascinating athletes. Some athletes were real jerks. But most that I've met are sincere, good-hearted people.

I've talked with and written about such NFL greats as Drew Brees (New Orleans Saints -- one of the nicest guys I've ever met), Phillip Rivers (San Diego Chargers -- who was an "aww-shucks" kind-of-guy coming out of N.C. State), Julius Peppers (Chicago Bears -- who took his sweet time dressing and getting ready before talking with the media), Lance Moore (New Olreans Saints -- again, like Brees, a really nice guy) and Vonta Leach (Baltimore Ravens -- a funny, smart, talented, nice guy all the way around).

Thanks to my job, I got to know some of the athletes really well, and consider some to be good friends. They are top-notch athletes, and even better people. Here are some of my favorites:

NFL


Terrance Copper, who is from Washington, N.C., is arguably the nicest guy I've ever met. He's a 10-year veteran of the NFL. A graduate of ECU, Terrance latched on with the Dallas Cowboys as a free agent. He's also played with the Saints and the Baltimore Ravens, before landing with the Kansas City Chiefs.
Now that I'm within a three-hour drive of K.C., I plan to attend a game or two to watch Terrance in action with the Chiefs. I've seen him play as a member of the Saints, and am anxious to see him in Arrowhead Stadium.
He is a wide receiver and a special teams ace.
I went to Terrance's wedding a few years ago. He returned the favor and came to my wedding in June.
When he returns home to Washington, N.C., he often gives back of his time and his money.



C.J. Wilson, a defensive tackle, is in his third year with the Green Bay Packers. C.J., who hails from Belhaven, N.C., is another of the nicest guys I've ever met. He would do anything for you, even as an NFL star.
Like Terrance, C.J. also attended ECU. He was a seventh-round pick of the Packers two years ago.
C.J. was fortunate enough to win the Super Bowl in his rookie season. I'm expecting him to have a breakout year this year.
Besides being a football standout, C.J. is a master of the keys. He can play the piano like nobody's business, often performing at church.

NBA



Damien Wilkins, seen driving between a pair of Miami Heat defenders (including some guy named LeBron at right), is a member of the Detroit Pistons. He's also played with the Seattle Sonics, Oklahoma City Thunder and Atlanta Hawks (where his uncle, Dominique Wilkins, was a superstar).
Damien is from Washington, N.C. One of the best parts about Damien is that he has given back so much to his hometown. It's not just with money. He has held a "Fun Day" in Washington, where the youth really get treated to some nice things. Damien always makes time to chat with anybody and everybody.
His selfless acts always impress me.

PRO BASEBALL


Brad Snyder is one talented guy. From Bellevue, Ohio, Brad was drafted by the Cleveland Indians. He was traded to the Chicago Cubs organization, and is now with the Houston Astros organization.
Currently, Brad is playing with the Oklahoma City Redhawks, a Triple-A afflilate of the Astros.
While he's been called up to the Majors before, I'm ready for Brad to get a good, long shot in the big leagues. He works his tail off each season. I think he's due.
I always loved watching Brad play in high school, whether it be baseball or football. He's got one of the sweetest swings I've ever seen.
And, like the guys above him in this blog, he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

DANCERS


I guess I really didn't know how NBA teams or NFL teams picked their cheerleaders and dance teams. That is, until I did a story about it for the newspaper.
Lindsay (left) and Brittony (right) are both members of the Charlotte LadyCats, the No. 1 dance team for the Charlotte Bobcats. Both are from North Carolina, and both went to ECU. In fact, Brittony went to the same high school as C.J. Wilson (Northside High School).
Besides dancing, the ladies do all kinds of charity work with the LadyCats -- from helping out with Boys & Girls clubs, to helping send off troops, to helping to build and paint playgrounds at schools.
They are way more than just beautiful ladies. They are sweet and caring and giving.

OLYMPICS


Lauren Perdue went to London with a dream, and she came home with a gold medal.
I did a story on Lauren in 2008. She then talked about her dream of competing in the Olympics. Her dream came true this summer.
Not only did her dream come true, but Lauren also helped the 4x200 relay team win a gold medal.
Lauren, who is from Greenville, N.C., has had a sensational career at the University of Virginia. She has one more season to compete for the Cavaliers, and I'm expecting huge things from her.
She already has her sights set on returning to the Olympics in 2016. I'm thinking there's a good chance she will add to her gold medal collection.
Lauren, deservedly so, earned all kinds of fans while she was in London. This sweet, pretty, outgoing young lady is also one of the nicest people I've ever met. She deserves nothing but success.

 SHOUTOUT OF THE DAY

This shoutout goes to the athletes and dancers I've mentioned. Thanks for being great role models. You all deserve nothing but success.


SONG OF THE DAY

"Born in the USA," by Bruce Springsteen.

No comments:

Post a Comment