Thursday, August 30, 2012

MY FIRST BOOK (When I was in the 2nd Grade)


You know, this writing and editing thing should be old hat by now. Heck, I should even be a famous, rich illustrator.

Just when I thought I was working on my first book, I discovered that I ALREADY have a book under my belt. Okay, maybe it wouldn't be classified as a book by some. Especially since it's only like six pages long.

But, in my eyes, it's a beauty. Okay, "beauty" may be too strong a word.

While going through some old items that my Mumsy gave me, I stumbled across my first book. My gem. Where it all started for me. Not only did I write it (apparently I wasn't old enough to edit it), but I also illustrated the sucker!

I penned what some would classify as something very near to "War and Peace" in Mrs. Daley's second grade class. It was when I was an up and coming author in the John Dewey Elementary School in Warrensville Heights, Ohio.

Don't worry about trying to find it on Kindle, at Barnes & Nobles or at your local bookstore. This is a one-of-a-kind gem. But, being the nice guy that I am, I have decided to share it with you...page by page, filled with love and wisdom of a second grade mind.

The book is called, "Big Bear." And now, for the first time in print...


Cover: This is the cover, presumably of Big Bear. I don't really remember what he's holding. Perhaps a small spear. Perhaps a rope, or a dead snake. I'm not sure. But he is colorful!



Page 1: The Indian and cowboys did mak freinds (I think that should be: The Indians and cowboys did make friends.)


Page 2: The Indian men help the Indian woman (women) to bake. (I think the Indian woman is holding a piece of bread.)


Page 3: The woman (women) make the food. The cowboys make the food because they have no woman (women). (Poor guys, out on the prairie with nobody to cuddle with). (Again, I think she may be tossing bread, but I can't be sure.)



Page 4: Some Indians are good and some are bad. They have bad weapons. The cowboys want to win. They have guns and rifles. (An artist rendering of a rifle with bullets is displayed.)


Back Page: I think this is a tomahawk. As you can see, this book was authored and illustrated by yours truly.


I now feel inspired to write even more now. And maybe, just maybe, seeing what a fantastic artist I was, I'll get back to illustrating my books as well.


Mrs. Daley's second grade class. The budding, handsome author is pictured second from left in the middle row (red shirt and blue stripe).

2 comments:

  1. got ya covered from introverted artists. Love your first book : ) Sometimes those personal stories are the best hey -- connected to the now. I do that some in my blog www.reynoldsblong.com

    ReplyDelete